The Adventures of Student Teaching

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Backbone of Prayer

Personal Development II

Ephesians 1:16 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.

Phil 4: 6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Episode/Analysis
Today I was reminded of how diverse the homes of my students are. One student came in with stitches on his head, another came in very disheartened because of a fight with a parents, another absent with no excuse, one child with dirty clothes and dirty hands, another not wanting to talk about his evening because a parent was working all night...and yet the list goes on. My heart breaks everyday for my children. They were not raised in a Godly home as I was, and have faced more in their young years than I have faced in my lifetime. With so many broken home, these children don't know true love. These young ones are switched from home to home, adjusting to other siblings and stepparents or other parent's girlfriend/boyfriends. The rules, values, and routine change from one home to the next. As these students come in my room in the morning and they don't have their homework, many times it is because they were transferred from one parent's home to the next. I can't imagine a life where I had to switches homes and parents on a regular bases. Many children come from poor homes or homes where the parents themselves have learning disabilities. Stories flow from the lips of these children, with parents in jail or other horrific things they have had to encounter. I am reminded that prayer is my only remedy for many of these hurts. I can't go home with each student and hold their hand and tell them everything will be okay. I am glad that I know a God that is bigger than any situation and truly cares for each of these children. I only wish that I could express and share more of my faith with these ones who are hurting so much each day. I have and will continue to pray for my students on a daily bases. My teaching and I will pass away, but the seeds of faith that are planted with stay with these students a lifetime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home