The Adventures of Student Teaching

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Substitute

III Professional Development
Lesson of the day: Remain flexible!
1:00-3:00

Episode
This afternoon many of the teachers were headed out to the funeral for our 4th grade student. There were not enough subs to cover for the teachers, so the aides and student teachers had to fill in. My cooperating teacher would have filled in, but she was in an IEP conference. I ended up covering a second grade class. For about a half an hour they had seatwork to do. I introduced the worksheets and then passed them out. The class was amazing! They hardly made a peep for the whole time. At 1:30 all classes with subs were to head to the auditorium, because they were showing a film for those classes. I took my class and got them settled in the auditorium. There were about 5 or 6 other classes in there also. I had to get my class' attention, so I help my hand up for "Give me 5". The whole school follows this rule, eyes are watching, hands are still, ears are listening, you are sitting in your seat, etc. Not only did my whole class give me 5, but the whole entire auditorium. I asked everyone to put their backpacks on the floor and reminded them they needed to be on their best behavior and quiet during the movie. The auditorium was silent. We watched the movie quietly and then I helped with dismissal, which I have never done before.

Analysis
I am in utter shock with the classes’ response today. I have subbed one semester and the respect I got was little to none. I was amazed how these schools set the standard higher. When the students have respect and follow the rules, it really does make teaching much easier. I was not keen on subbing today, but it was a great opportunity. It gave me a chance to set up and show that I am the authority and helped me learn the routines of the school. Being a teacher demands flexibility and taking a good attitude with you. I am sorry that the teachers had to be out for the funeral this afternoon, but in the end I am glad that I got to help my school out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home